1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why should I donate blood?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Bonjiek Dakoykoy, Aug 10, 2015.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bonjiek Dakoykoy

Bonjiek Dakoykoy
    Expand Collapse

Relationship:
    Married
    Yesterday, Al Khebra Driving Academy held a Blood Donation Campaign at their premises in collaboration with Hamad Medical Center (HMC).

Personally, I always get a text message from HMC inviting me to donate some blood. I donated once and it scared me though I know the reason why should I donate blood.

Safe blood saves lives and improves health of both the giver and receiver. Below are few lists that Blood transfusion is needed for:
    • women with complications of pregnancy, such as ectopic pregnancies and hemorrhage before, during or after childbirth;
    • children with severe anemia often resulting from malaria or malnutrition;
    • people with severe trauma following accidents; and
    • many surgical and cancer patients.
    It is also needed for regular transfusions for people with conditions such as thalassaemia and sickle cell disease and is used to make products such as clotting factors for people with haemophilia.

There is a constant need for regular blood supply because blood can be stored for only a limited time before use. Regular blood donations by a sufficient number of healthy people is needed to ensure that safe blood will be available whenever and wherever it is needed.

Blood is the most precious gift that anyone can give to another person — the gift of life. A decision to donate your blood can save a life, or even several if your blood is separated into its components — red cells, platelets and plasma — which can be used individually for patients with specific conditions.

#1 Bonjiek Dakoykoy, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015